Course creation and editing allows instructors to edit course contents live on our site. Our course creation tool automatically creates and connects the necessary linkages between a course, a unit, a quiz, a product, groups and forums, thereby making course creation process a lot simpler and easier to maintain.
To create a course, locate the Create Course button in the Course Directory. Click on it and you’ll see the create course page. Each section in create course has a description given on the right. Clicking an element automatically triggers its corresponding description on the right.
The course creation process is divided into 5 major steps :
- Create Course
In this step a new course is created. This new course is in draft state.
- Course Title: Delete the existing test and enter a suitable title for the course.
- Course Category: Select a Course Category, in case you want to add a new category, select new category and enter the new course category name.
- Course Image: Select a Course thumbnail image. This image is used in course snapshot and single course page.
- Course Description: Enter a short description of the course. This is a two line description shown below the course title. This description is also used in creating new groups and forums. The main description and content of the Course can be added later on by simply editing the course form the front end.
- Change Course Status: Enter the status of the course offline or online.
Note: A Offline Course is not visible to students in the course directory.
- Create Settings
These are vital settings for the course, which needs to be configured.
- Maximum Course Duration: Maximum duration of course in days. Entering a value of 9999 or above shows “unlimited access” as time duration for course.
- Course Evaluation mode: Set evaluation mode for course.
- Pre Required course: Set a pre required course for the course. The course selected here, needs to submitted and evaluated in order to get started with this course.
- Drip Feed: Enable Drip Field For a Course
- Drip Duration: Set Drip duration for the course. The drip duration is time period between successive units.
- Course Certificate: Enable Course certificate
- Certificate Percentage: Set percentage out of 100. If students cumulative percentage of all quizzes and assignments is more than the value set here, she will get the certificate.
- Certificate Template: Set a certificate template
- Course Badge: Enable Badges for course
- Badge Percentage: Set percentage out of 100. If student’s cumulative percentage of all quizzes and assignments is more than the value set here, she will get the badge.
- Badge Title: Add a title for the Badge. This title appears when user hovers over the badge.
- Badge Image: Upload a Badge image. This is required to enable Badge for the course.
- Number of Seats: Enter Number of seats for the course. The Seats comprise of students currently taking the course. Once the seats are filled, a new student would not be able to join the Course.
- Start Date: Set a Start date of the course. If set to a future date, the Course begins when the Start date arrives, that is student will be able to join the course only after the start date.
- Course Group: Connect a group, if creating a new course it is recommended that you create a new group for the course. By default the group created is a private group only accessible to students taking the course.
- Course Retakes: Enter number of retakes a student can make of that particular course
- Course Forum: Connect a forum, if creating a new course it is recommended that you connect the group forum for the course. This will create a private group forum for the above group only accessible to students taking the course and in the group.
- Course Completion message: Enter a Completion message, which is shown to user when the user finishes the course or submits the course for evaluation.
- Set Curriculum
In this section Instructor creates or sets the curriculum for the course.
- ADD SECTION: Add a new section in the curriculum. Clicking this button would add a Text box in the curriculum section. Enter the section title in the box.
- ADD UNIT: Add a unit in the curriculum. Clicking this button would add a select box showing all the units. If instructor privacy is enabled then all the units created by instructor will be shown in the select box. To add a new unit select “Add New Unit” in the select box, which will show a input box. Enter the title of the unit in the input box and select Publish from the dropdown beside the unit. Once published the unit will be published and the dropdown controls will now show edit unit. Clicking on edit in the dropdown controls would take the user to the unit editing screen. Clicking on Delete would remove the unit from the database. Clicking on remove will remove the unit form the curriculum.
- ADD QUIZ: Add a Quiz in the curriculum. Clicking this button would add a select box showing all the quizzes. If instructor privacy is enabled then all the quizzes created by instructor will be shown in the select box. To add a new quiz select “Add New Quiz” in the select box, which will show a input box. Enter the title of the Quiz in the input box and select Publish from the dropdown beside the unit. Once published the quiz will be published and the dropdown controls will now show edit quiz. Clicking on edit in the dropdown controls would take the user to the quiz editing screen. Clicking on Delete would remove the quiz from the database. Clicking on “remove” will remove the quiz form the curriculum.
- Save Curriculum: Unless the Course curriculum is saved, the new units created and added are not a part of the course curriculum.
- Pricing: This allows the instructor to set a Price for the course.
- Free Course: Set the course as Free. A free is available to all students accessing the course.
- Set a Course Product:
- Select an existing product if instructor want to sell the course as a combination of courses.
- Select “No Product” to keep the course as private and manually control the Students for course
- Select “ADD NEW PRODUCT” to create a new product and set the mode and pricing. If mode is set to subscription set the duration of subscription in days. If subscription is not enabled then the subscription duration is set as course duration. When a student purchases a course the subscription duration is set for the student. The access to the course is limited by subscription duration of the course, post which the course goes into expired state and student has to re purchase a course product to continue with the course again.
- Publish Course
Publish the course. Once you click publish, it will go into pending state, which one of our staff needs to manually review and approve so it can be published.